Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Elated

Today when Music Man got off the bus, something was strange. There was something in his step. Then I noticed it. Tooth #2 was GONE. After checking I saw it came out cleanly (wasn't knocked out as in a collision or a fight). For the second time, I didn't even realize the tooth was loose. But apparently he did because he was happy. But I didn't know the half of it.

10 minutes later, I received a phone call from his school's administrator. She started the phone call by asking me if I "Wanted to be happy". You see, a representative from our cluster (our school-based learning center I wrote about in last night's post) came to determine if Music Man was a good fit for the program. She may have been looking at other kids in his program....I don't know. I knew this assessment was happening today, so I knew what she was going to say. Apparently, it is a bit of a stretch, but given the breakthrough that we are seeing in Music Man right now, the representative feels that he would be a good candidate for this program.

Can I hear a "HALLELUJAH"!!!!!!!

Now, before we get to excited, I have to remember several things. (1) A recommendation is not the same as an official placement. It supports a placement to the school that I desire for him, but his actual placement will be determined in his placement meeting. (2) This is for one twin. Ballerina will be evaluated later this month and, even if the recommendation is favorable, again it is not a guarantee that she will be placed there.

But the realization that someone who had never seen Music Man before today thinks that this program is the best placement for him constitutes a HUGE victory for everyone working with him. And it brings me closer to my goal of them both able to handle being placed in a mainstream classroom environment by the time they leave elementary school.

I'm taking this victory and smiling the rest of the day!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo! that's phenomenal news!!!

    Can I just say to keep in mind that once elementary school is over, that all hell tends to break loose?

    That's what happened with us. My son made incredible strides in elementary school but I'll be danged if once he hit middle school that things started to fall apart. We're getting back on track now but it's taken us 1.5years to get to this point, ugh!

    But what a victory for your kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenn!!!! I am worried about what's going to happen beyond elementary school (heck, I'm worried about what's going to happen beyond kindergarten), but I can't let that take over right now. We take everything one step at a time.

    One of the things that I think (and hope) will help them is the fact that they are together. They have each other to lean on. And sharing the same classroom will hopefully help them cope with some of these things. But, time will tell.

    ReplyDelete