Monday, December 7, 2009

Upon further reflection...

....how am I doing with everything now that more time has passed? I think things are starting to get a little bit better. It's been a week since the meeting, and every day I've been going over everything -- how they are going to do in different programs, and how I am going to handle everything. And I think I'm finally starting to come to terms with it all. I still feel like it's wrong to separate them and it still hurts, but I do realize the need to send them to programs that will address each of their needs, which means separate programs. I still feel that I'm being made to sacrifice what's best for them in order to give each of them the best opportunity for success, but when I think about it in those terms, it reminds me that this is the way it has to be. And how much this will affect the dynamic between them and their own personal relationship, well, we'll never fully know how much impact this will have because I refuse to think in the "What if...." world. This is what they will know and I can still hope we can get them back together again before too long.

Now we are getting ready to start the insanity of getting everyone ready for their new programs. Simon has his initial orientation at MPAC on Wednesday and we are still waiting to hear from CAPP to set up Rachel's orientation (not expecting to hear anything until next week at the earliest). Then there will probably be at least 2 visits for each school prior to January 12 (their first days) to get everything set up properly and prepare them for their first day (since transitions are notoriously bad for autistic kids [even more so than a typical developing child]).

Schools will be closed for over a week with the holidays at the end of the month and then we'll have one more week with MCITP prior to making the transition. I know we've only been working with them for about 8 months, but it's hard to believe that our time with Infants and Toddlers is this close to ending. There's still a lot to do before we get there.....

No comments:

Post a Comment