Thursday, December 17, 2009

Things get strange....

.....well, I've finally (mostly) adjusted to the thought of separating the twins in a month or so. Even their sleeping is starting to get a little better (still adorable with them falling asleep together, and it's still taking forever, but once they're asleep, they've been STAYING asleep) -- me sleeping, well, that's another story that MAYBE I'll write a post about another time.

Then yesterday happened.

First of all, let me just say that I've been having a less-than-stellar week -- wouldn't go as far to say it's been a bad week, but it's been a bit stressful trying to get everything in taken care of in a limited amount of time -- I've been feeling like I'm running 5-10 minutes behind with everything I've been doing. We spent "parent group" on Wednesday morning talking about stress (guess it was felt with the holidays approaching it was a good time to bring up the subject of "stress") which I thought was quite funny since I had been racing all morning and my stress level was probably a bit on the high side. After taking care of the normal early-afternoon Wednesday activities, I finally had a chance to get onto the computer for a few minutes and check email and Facebook and maybe play some stupid online games for a little while. In my inbox was a message -- and the subject header was "MPAC may be closing. We need your help now."

This is the program that Simon has been placed in. Neither of the other programs available really address his needs, which is why I knew when Rachel was placed in CAPP that they were going to be separated. I'm still trying to gather information about what is actually going on, but every time I get an update, the news seems to be getting worse for the future of the program. It's not likely to affect Simon immediately, but the longer his placement is intended in this kind of program, the more likely it is that it will directly affect us. Currently, the program is "rallying the parents" to try to get them involved by notifying the county Board of Education to continue referring kids to the program. I would love to be involved, but since Simon hasn't started yet, I really don't feel like there is anything I can contribute (the Board of Ed meetings are January 13 and 20 and Simon will be starting on January 12).

If MPAC goes away, I'm really not sure what's going to happen for Simon. If it comes down to that, by the time it happens, hopefully his needs will have changed enough that the other programs offered will be sufficient, but based on where he is TODAY, that's just not an option. So, we'll have to see what happens.

And then, of course, last night (Wednesday night), the kids decided to wake up during the night. They went back to sleep, nicely on their own. I did have to go back in there after they had fallen asleep and transfer Simon back into his own bed, however.

I'm just hoping that everyone is just jumping the gun and that the Board of Education will realize that this program is helping many of the kids (if not all) who are being referred to the program and therefore it should be allowed to continue. Optimism may not always be the best way to go without stepping forward to make the desired results happen, but I will step in once I feel I have something to offer. Right now, I really don't think there is anything I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment