Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Time To Get Serious

I have tried several times to lose weight and get into shape.  Most of the times, I give up before I even start.  Sometimes I stick with it for a while, but get frustrated with the lack of progress.  Other times I see success but then see excuses to stop and I end up back where I started.

Something happened at the beginning of the month that made me realize that this has got to stop.  We went to Split Rock Resort in the Poconos for the weekend.  We took advantage of some of the on-site activities including an indoor water park.  The kids had a BLAST!  And they loved to go down the tall tunneled slides.

Unfortunately, those slides were 4 stories high.  They would all just run up the stairs without a second thought.  Me, well, I'd get up the first one fine and then the struggle would begin.  Especially when I was tired from doing this over and over and over again.  I found excuses so I could catch my breath after every trip, but that didn't always work -- Music Man figured out he can run up there again and again.  Thankfully, Big Brother recognized I needed a moment between trips and he helped to run interference, stopping Music Man from going up a third straight time.

That shouldn't be his job though.  At least not at this point.  Big Brother is 7 years old and he should be able to play as much as he can find the time.  It's MY job to keep Music Man from hurting himself and having fun.  So the time has come for me to do something.

I made a recent purchase from Amazon.  I bought Big Brother Lego Harry Potty (years 1-4) for the Wii and I bought myself The Biggest Loser for the Wii.  This is an exercise program that is designed to work for all fitness levels, all ages, all weights.....unlike some of the other games I've seen, I should be able to do this, at least at my own pace.

I am going to get into shape.  Who knows how far I will take this -- perhaps I will manage to run a 5K or something at some point (yeah, right!).  But no matter what, the time has come to get serious, and hopefully by writing this here, I will realize that I can't back out!

No comments:

Post a Comment