Saturday, June 30, 2012

Absentee Mommy

Well, that's not really true....more like Absentee Blogger.  It's just been one of those weeks.  Lots going on, but nothing to really talk about.

But we did start something new this week for Ballerina and Music Man.....swimming lessons.  Our neighboring community has a pool that we have joined.  Big Brother has joined the swim team and one of the swim team coaches offers swimming lessons (well, they both do, but we are going with the one who has more experience).  So, on Thursday, Ballerina had her first lesson and on Friday, Music Man had HIS turn.

Things didn't quite go the way I had pictured. I really didn't know what to expect, but I mentioned that what I was after was to teach them how to be safe in the water.  Ballerina didn't want to be in the lesson and, after the first 10 minutes, decided she had had enough (lesson was 30 minutes).  She really has no desire to learn to swim and the instructor was really at a loss about what to do.  Music Man's lesson the next day was a little different......he DOES have an interest in learning, but he really does his own thing.  She's not really sure what to do about either of them.

She has given me a book (which she is using this weekend) to try to figure out how to teach them since they really don't show much interest. She's really not sure we should be spending the money for these lessons because she doesn't know what they are going to get out of them.  So, I'm going to review the book and see if I can get some ideas.

But I've learned from experience that they don't always learn these things from me as well as they learn from a "teacher".  The lessons are $15 for each half hour lesson, so we are giving her $45/week for all 3 kids to get a lesson (Big Brother both NEEDS and WANTS them).  It's money that can definitely go towards other things and that's something to consider.  But it's important for them to learn.  And I want to see them joining the swim team next year (even if they aren't competitive) because I want them to be part of this "group".  And this team is INCREDIBLY supportive of it's members with disabilities.....we have several with ASD diagnoses or developmental delays who are apparent, and others whom I question if they have issues.  To be a part of a neighborhood group with that support will really be good for both of them.

So, I have some thinking to do.  And I need to do it before Thursday to make a decision whether these lessons should continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment