Thursday, December 16, 2010

We're Thinking About Trying Again

Does anyone remember us taking this family to see the Laurie Berkner Band in Baltimore this spring? We spent WEEKS prepping Simon for the experience (and brought Rachel in that process as well). The experience went better than the previous trip to a show (of sorts), but it was still probably considered a dismal failure.

Well, the Laurie Berkner Band will be performing in Washington, DC in early March, and we are actually considering trying this again. I learned about this performance a few weeks ago, but didn't say anything. I wanted to try again. I know that Simon should enjoy it and our fear of his misery shouldn't be why we avoid the situation -- we need to work through it. But that fear is very real, and truth be told, I don't want to set everything up for that kind of failure all over again. And (I have to admit), I like the Laurie Berkner Band, almost as much as my kids do.

Anyway, I don't think I said anything to Kevin about this. I knew what he was going to say (or think) about it. He had to come to the rescue in Baltimore. The tickets aren't PARTICULARLY expensive, but when considering we'd be purchasing 5 of them, the cost does add up. And if we would have to spend much of the performance outside the auditorium, is it worth the financial cost as well as the emotional investment in getting Simon ready for the show? Then we watched Rachel, and more so Simon, open their Hanukkah presents of Laurie Berkner Band DVDs (they [officially] each got one).

That was the favorite present for Simon. He saw the DVD and didn't really think anything of it, until he realized that it was, in his words, "LAURIE!!!!!!!!!". They want to watch it every night. They can't get enough of it. They simply LOVE the music and if any concert would be successful for Simon, it would be a LBB concert.

We still haven't decided whether we're going to try to get the tickets. IF we do decide to try again, I'll be taking the same steps I took before -- I'll be reaching out to that "contact" at Two Tomatoes Records, LLC that I made last spring. I'll try to get the backstage passes again as well as anything else she can provide for me. I also sent a note to Simon's school this morning to ask if they have any suggestions on how to prepare him for this. But they don't see the same things I do. He goes to performances with school and doesn't react poorly like he does with his family, so I'm not sure what they're going to say. But it's worth asking them.

It sounds like I'm planning on trying to get these tickets. I'm not making this decision until the start of the year. There's just too many things happening right now that I can't afford to make that kind of decision and not immediately start working with Simon, and right now there just isn't time.

But, as the title of this post says, we're thinking of trying this again.....we must be NUTS!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment